Friday, January 4, 2008

Soup on a bus, English, weather

My trip back to El Chol from Panajachel on the lake where I had been for new years was a pretty typical Guatemalan experience here. It took me about 9 hours to get back, but it was much more enjoyable since I traveled with another volunteer who lives about half and hour from me. I stopped to buy some groceries that I can’t get in site on the way. While waiting in San Juan to transfer, I decided to go find some lunch and the chicken soup with rice caught my eye. The senora placed the soup in a plastic bowl and put the uncovered bowl in a plastic bag. I thought I would have plenty of time to eat my soup, tortillas, and chocolate milk since I usually wait like one to three hours there for a bus, but of course the bus decided to arrive at that moment and I had to get on. I had to juggle the soup, my backpack, and my large bag with dirty clothes and groceries onto the bus. My avocados got a bit smashed and my (Washington!) apples started falling out from the shelf above the seats since the bag I was using didn’t zip or close. My friend help me scarf the soup before it got too bumpy, I rescued my belongings as best I could, and got a good laugh out of it. So much of the soup had spilled into the plastic bag and I didn’t know what to do with it. Unfortunately, I must confess that I tossed the plastic bowl and bag with soup remnants out the window as most Guatemalans would do, as the situation demanded since there was no where to put the soup bag on the bus. I remarked how Guatemala had a bad influence on me and made me a litterer.

During that ride there was a very strong smell of gasoline the whole time that kept getting stronger. I went to investigate in the back of the bus and found a jug of gas without a lid and only a piece of plastic wrap over the opening. I ensured that it was far enough away from my groceries, which I had moved back there since my apples kept falling out. It was a bit concerning when the driver and the ayudante (helper) lit up a cigarette. To further my concern, the driver and ayudante switched places for what appeared to be a training session for the ayudante. The windy dirt mountain road did not seem to me to be the best training ground. He stalled the motor a couple times and struggled with the grinding gears, but at least took it really slowly.

I made it back in one piece and in good spirits. The family was really happy to see me and there were lots of hugs and story sharing. I gave them the gifts I had got them and enjoyed a cup of coffee and dinner with them. It was nice to see people from around town too and everybody asked me where I had been since they hadn’t seen me around for a few days. It was nice to know that I was missed. It was nice to get back to my house too and feel the relief of “coming home” after a trip. Now I just have tons of laundry and cleaning to do.

I've been preparing to start teaching English classes next week. They will be Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:00 in the municipal library. I went around town posting flyers and talked to a lot of people about it. Already there is lots of interest and excitement and people keep coming up to me to ask details, so we'll see how it goes. I think it will be fun to get to know people and I think people will really appreciate it. However, learning a language is a slow, challenging process, as I am well aware, so I hope people don’t get discouraged and stick with it.

There was a strange change in weather and its been relatively cold here (like in the 50s) with lots of wind. The power went out in the entire country for about three hours night before last. The wind has been kicking up all kinds of stuff and particles are flying around from the trees. Since my house isn’t really sealed, there’s tons of leaves and dust that comes in from under the doors and between the walls and the roof. It just requires a lot of sweeping and creates drafts. My corrugated tin roof was making such a racket I thought it was going to blow off. Its not THAT cold but when you don't have heating and when your shower barely warms up to above icy it feels a lot colder. I’ve been sleeping in my fleece and socks and sleeping bag, plus blankets. I shouldn’t be complaining cause I know it’s a lot colder in other parts of the country right now and in a few months I’ll probably be very uncomfortable in the heat that I am told will be pretty fierce.

1 comment:

Adele said...

Catching up on your blog tonight - you are my favorite author! Love you.