Monday, October 29, 2007

Guatemala City

Saturday we spent the day in Guatemala City doing a training in GIS with ArcView. I love maps. I could stare at them all day. I made a nifty one of the extreme poverty levels, by municipalities, of the country and printed it out to reference when we find out our sites TOMORROW. After the workshop we drove around the city in the Peace Corps van to see everything like the central plaza, presidential palace, all the important big buildings, and so on. One of the most impressive things were the vendors and street stalls of EVERYTHING you can possibly imagine. Clothing, household good, pirated DVDs, you name it. On the way out of the city we saw a huge crowd of people by a bus stop with police and a body on the ground covered in a white sheet, with just his Nikes poking out. Very disturbing.

Gotta run...Im in the training center and the bell just rang for our next activity. More later....

2 comments:

Adele said...

I'm excited to hear where you will be assigned! Love you!

Jesse Marie said...

I looked up El Chol as soon as I got done talking to you the other day! That meat/veggie salad sounds interesting...I love you sooooo much!